6/24/10

Running Update: So Maybe I'm Figuring This Out

Listen, I don't want to make a big deal about this but on June 18, 2010 and on June 20, 2010 I found myself running and it wasn't totally sucking.  I wouldn't say the sucking was completely absent, but I could see why people continue with this activity and while others write books about it and why those ridiculous looking running skirts appear to be all the rage these days.

Friday, June 18th was a perfect day, running-wise.  I could not have asked for more beautiful weather.  It was the last day of my 4-minute interval program which had kicked my butt for the past two weeks.  When I first started it, I could not even get through the program without pausing it for a few minutes here and there.  And on Friday, I got through the whole thing, and when I ran into a neighbor on my way home, I was able to carry on a conversation with her despite just finishing the program.  Rather than vomiting on her shirt, which is what would have happened two weeks prior.

On Father's Day, June 20th, I didn't get out to run until 8 p.m.  It had been a long day and my energy was sapped.  (Being nice to both my father and my husband was tough for me, but I pulled through.)  It was the first time I was doing the 6-minute interval program and I was nervous I wouldn't be able to get through it.  Au contraire.  I got through it and I came home and cleaned my house and made lunches for the next day.

These might seem like small accomplishments, and I guess they are, but to me they prove that I am getting stronger and improving.  If you remember, I almost died during my first run after I had to run for two minutes.  And now I can run for 6 minutes without stopping.  6 minutes!  That's like practically a marathon.



"Go a mun, mommy? I mun?"
.
.
.
.
.

No comments: