4/1/11

Taking Life For Granted

One of the things that I learned from my last job was to take advantage of the time that I was not at work.

I would stare at the clock on Friday afternoons, willing it to move quickly to 5 p.m., and then run out of there and haul my booty home, excited for the two full days in front of me where I didn't have to be at work. 

I would forget about my job the second I walked out the office door and not think about it again until Sunday night, when the pending week would loom on my mind. 

I would pack our weekends full of family activities and functions, taking advantage of every second that I was with people that I loved, doing things that I enjoyed.  I learned to not take happiness and good times for granted, because I knew what the opposite felt like.

I learned to love my commute, because it was valuable time that I got to spend with myself, reflecting on my life, relishing in the fact that I was NOT at work at that particular moment, and listening to inspirational music*.  (Ed. note: When I say "inspirational music" I mean music that inspires me, like a song about a girl who quits her job the day before a lice breakout.  Not, you know, Inspirational Music.)

Even though I like my job and generally enjoy life so much more now, I still get very excited for the weekends.  Friday nights are reserved for family time, where I get to spend time with Greg and Leah, not worrying about cleaning the house or laundry, just kinda hanging out happy that I get to spend the next two days doing family stuff.

So there.  I've found one good thing about that wretched place.  ONE.




*Sometimes I feel like throwing my hands up in the air

I know I can count on you

Sometimes I feel like saying "Lord I just don't care"

But you've got the love I need to see me through

Sometimes it seems that the going is just too rough

And things go wrong no matter what I do

Now and then it seems that life is just too much

But you've got the love I need to see me through

When food is gone you are my daily need

When friends are gone I know my savior's love is real

You know its real

You got the love
You got the love
You got the love
You got the love
You got the love
You got the love

Time after time I think "Oh Lord what's the use?"

Time after time I think it's just no good

Sooner or later in life, the things you love you loose

But you got the love I need to see me through

You got the love
 You got the love
You got the love
 You got the love
You got the love
 You got the love

Sometimes I feel like throwing my hands up in the air

I know I can count on you

Sometimes I feel like saying "Lord I just don't care"

But you've got the love I need to see me through

You got the love
You got the love
You got the love
You got the love
You got the love
You got the love


-Florence and The Machine

No comments: