11/21/10

A Contribution From a Friend

A few month's ago my friend Rob sent me a poem.  I read it when I received it, and then it sat in my Inbox for a while.  Every so often, I'd open it up and read it.  It's a great poem and I thought I'd post it.

Now, this poem is quite well known, and so when I read the excerpt that Rob sent me, I knew that the last verse was left off.  The last verse is very religious, and while Rob is also very religious, I'm not.  And I'm not sure if Rob left off that last verse because he knows how I feel about religion or not, but I like to think that you get the jist of the poem just fine without that last verse.  And if you find yourself needing more god after you read this poem, then you should google it, and get your god fix.


If Tears Could Build a Stairway


If tears could build a stairway

and thoughts a memory lane

I’d walk right up to heaven

and bring you home again.


No Farewell words were spoken

No time to say good-bye

You were gone before I knew it

And only God knows why.



My heart’s still active in sadness

And secret tears still flow

What it meant to lose you

No one can ever know.


But now I know you want us

To mourn for you no more

To remember all the happy times

Life still has much in store.



Since you’ll never be forgotten

I pledge to you today

A hallowed place within my heart

Is where you’ll always stay.

.
.
.

No comments: